Monday, May 1, 2017

KN38 PARING KNIFE - HANDLE ASSEMBLY

Before starting on the handle I like to tape up the blade with 3M 233 masking tape. 

I've had a couple of maple burl scales that have been stabilized with Stick Fast sitting idle for a few years. Time to put them to use. They are a bit on the thick side for a paring knife, but we'll work them into a nimble handle.











Checking the bookmatch pattern I traced them and cut them out on the band saw.







I used some 3/16" wooden dowel to temporarily pin the scales to the tang. This helps keep everything lined up during drilling. 
Viewing the top the grain moves across the handle. I have a feeling this is going to look very good. 
I traced and cut out two pieces of spacer material with scissors and then punched out the holes for the pins with a heavy-duty paper punch. Spacers or liners give a nice visual effect like using a felt pen marker to outline a shape in a drawing. Mechanically it acts as a cushioning border between hard steel and softer wood. 
I took everything and pinned with dowels to shape the fronts.












With everything in place I cut the front close to the final shape with the band saw.













Then sanded in slack belt mode.















And buffed on the clean wheel. 














I cut some 3/16" 304 stainless rod for pins. Chamfered the ends a bit and scuffed them with 150 grit sand paper.














Everything is ready to clean.







After washing with acetone and prepping the glue up zone, I mixed about two teaspoons of G-flex. This should be more than enough to coat all the surfaces, pins and holes. 

Starting with one side and coating the pins and holes, spread a thin coat. Then coat the spacer and sandwich together. 
Repeat the layers coating each surface. More is better here than less. 
Everything is pinned, wipe the excess and clamp with low force about 10 lbs. 
After clamping up, wipe the excess epoxy off and check around the fronts of the scales. It's much easier and cleaner to wipe off epoxy now than it is to be scraping it off tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic tutorial!
    Seeing your tempering oven makes me wonder if my wife's jewelry enameling oven would work, I will have to do some research on that..
    Mostly though I'm just writing to say thanks, I will keep watching, and where is a photo of the finished knife?? Can't wait to see it!
    Thanks so much!
    Ricklesss in Oregon

    ReplyDelete